December 6, 2013
- On Dec. 5, the Rev. Linda Jaramillo flew to Washington, D.C., to join the Fast for Families, where she fasted for 24 hours in solidarity with the core fasters, who had gone 22 days with no food, just water, spending their days in a tent in the shadow of the U.S. Capitol.
- Donations came in rapidly and in large numbers to assist people in the Philippines put their lives back together after Typhoon Haiyan. Those generous gifts from a multitude of contributors enabled the United Church of Christ and the Disaster Ministries team to raise more than a quarter million dollars in just weeks. With gratitude, the UCC announced it surpassed its $250,000 goal on Friday, Dec. 6, with $250,641 to date.
- During the season of giving, one United Church of Christ congregation is providing a family a place to live after their home was damaged in November's tornados. St. Paul’s UCC in Nashville, Ill. has an unused parsonage, and decided to put it use to help put a roof over their heads.
- A man who shed bitterness and anger to instill reconciliation for an entire country. An icon for change and equality. A leader who persevered in a decades-long quest for justice. Those are just a few ways justice leaders, past and present, from the United Church of Christ are evoking the lasting legacy Nelson Mandela.
December 5, 2013
- UCC congregations from New York to California have taken action to do what they can to help their brothers and sisters suffering on the other side of the world.
- Largely because of St. John UCC's extravagant welcome, the other four churches in Bellevue, Ky., have decided not to take part in a beloved Christmas tradition this year.
December 4, 2013
- The Rev. Linda Jaramillo will travel to Washington, D.C., Dec. 5 to stand in solidarity with immigration activists who have been gathered in a tent on the National Mall since Nov. 12 to Fast for Families.
December 3, 2013
- The Christmas Fund for the Veterans of the Cross and the Emergency Fund is one of the UCC's four special mission offerings that provides assistance to retired and active clergy facing overwhelming financial demands.
- The destruction of Lazarus UCC in Maryland raised questions about how the congregation will rebuild its house of worship, and what it will do during the Christmas season.
December 2, 2013
- Old South Church in Boston United Church of Christ will receive more than $13 million after its copy of the Bay Psalm Book, the first book printed in America, sold for the highest price ever recorded for a print book in an open sale.