November 20, 2013
- The Rev. Barbara Peronteau is hopeful the Transgender Day of Remembrance memorial service will raise awareness about transgender people and the challenges they face, and pay respects to the 71 transgender people who have been killed in the U.S. this year out of hate, ignorance and fear.
- Following a series of storms that swirled through the Midwest on Sunday evening, there’s plenty of cleanup work needed to clear towns from debris and get families back on their feet.
November 19, 2013
- On Speak Out Sunday, Nov. 24, members of First Congregational United Church of Christ in Salem, Ore., will together recite a pledge promising to speak out against sexual violence, stand in solidarity with those most vulnerable, and support laws that promote justice and enable healthy relationships.
- The United Church of Christ is doubling its investment in the future this fall in new and renewing churches. UCC Local Church Ministries is funding 27 new, renewing and multiplying congregations with grants totaling $458,000 – which is twice the number of congregations and money invested by LCM in previous biannual funding cycles – to plant progressive faith communities in different corners of the country and support young churches early in their ministry.
November 18, 2013
- While parting with his beloved collection of Christmas décor from throughout the world was difficult, the ornament sale Nov. 14-16 was the only way Michael Nitzsche was sure he would be able to thank his congregation for the unwavering emotional, physical and financial support members provided him during his recent battle with cancer.
November 15, 2013
- Just Peace churches from the UCC can soon walk with others from across the globe, boldly proclaiming a public identity as a justice-doing, peace-seeking church, after the World Council of Churches 10th Assembly affirmed Just Peace as a direction its member churches will move toward.
- Food supplies are scarce, there’s massive hoarding and fuel is quickly becoming limited in the Philippines. That’s merely a glimpse of the situation almost a week after a typhoon slammed the island nation, a scenario one of the leaders of the United Church of Christ in the Philippines described as“quite chaotic.”
November 14, 2013
- Created in 2011 in partnership with Judson Memorial Church UCC in New York City and the New Sanctuary Coalition of NYC, the Accompaniment Project provides moral support and pastoral care to immigrants who are in the deportation process at their court hearings and required periodic check-ins with ICE.
- As the National Council of Churches prepares to step into a new future next week under new leadership, two United Church of Christ executives are expressing an ecumenical commitment of support for the council as it moves forward at a critical time in its ministry.
November 13, 2013
- Though the UCC Disaster Ministries team is expressing gratitude for the early donations that have come in to fund the $250,000 appeal to support those devastated by Typhoon Haiyan, they understand that recovery assistance will be needed long term.