May 21, 2013
- Children’s Disaster Services readies team to go to Oklahoma; Brethren urged to support the work of child care volunteers through donations to the EDF.
May 20, 2013
- Brethren in the News for May 20, 2013
- We know Ken Morse as the author of “Move in Our Midst,” the hymn that provides the theme for Annual Conference this year. But Morse also was a poet, author of worship resources, writer of Sunday school curriculum, and editor and associate editor of Messenger magazine for 28 years.
May 17, 2013
- 1) Bethany Seminary trustees hold spring meeting. 2) Seventy-year-old Brethren Pension Plan transforms in 2013. 3) BDM directs grants to support rebuilding in New York, send canned chicken to the Caribbean. 4) Dinner celebrates completion of Prattsville, N.Y., rebuilding project. 5) Material Resources ships 27,000 pounds of clean-up supplies to Illinois, CWS appeals for help to restock. 6) Delegation visits emerging church in Spain. 7) Campaign brings healing and engagement to Paul Ziegler’s...
- Topping the “bits” of Newsline news: A correction, remembering Nigeria mission mechanic Marion Showalter, job openings for Shine project editor and mission office manager, Fahrney-Keedy seeks an administrator, Open Roof Award nominations, commencement ceremonies, and much more.
May 16, 2013
- On April 23, the US Senate held its first official hearing on drone warfare entitled “Drone Wars: The Constitutional and Counterterrorism Implications of Targeted Killing.” The United States has been using drones to conduct missile strikes in various places since 2002, but recently, more scrutiny has been given to the targeted killing program as President Obama has expanded its scope and has even used drones to target and kill three American citizens.
- On Saturday, May 4, nearly 150 people gathered at Colebrook, Pa., along the Lebanon Valley Rail Trail to bike, walk, and ride horseback as a part of the 3,000 Miles for Peace campaign of On Earth Peace. A report from the agency noted that the trail ride kicked off a long weekend of events in and around Elizabethtown, Pa., in honor of the late Paul Ziegler who would have celebrated his 20th birthday on Sunday, May 5.
- Brethren Disaster Ministries staff are directing grant money to support a continuing home rebuilding effort in New York State following flooding caused by Hurricane Irene in 2011, and a church effort to distribute canned chicken in Haiti and the Dominican Republic.
- On May 1, more than 75 people gathered at Prattsville Community Church in the New York Catskills to celebrate all the work Brethren Disaster Ministries volunteers have done. Delicious dinner and desserts were provided by the church and community for volunteers and homeowners.
- On April 23, I traveled to Prattsville, N.Y., to undergo training to become a Disaster Project Leader. Disaster Project Leaders are wonderful men and women called to lead and guide volunteers who come out to Brethren Disaster Ministries rebuilding sites for a week. I was very excited to learn all that happened behind the scenes to keep the project sites running.