May 17, 2013
- 1) Bethany Seminary trustees hold spring meeting. 2) Seventy-year-old Brethren Pension Plan transforms in 2013. 3) BDM directs grants to support rebuilding in New York, send canned chicken to the Caribbean. 4) Dinner celebrates completion of Prattsville, N.Y., rebuilding project. 5) Material Resources ships 27,000 pounds of clean-up supplies to Illinois, CWS appeals for help to restock. 6) Delegation visits emerging church in Spain. 7) Campaign brings healing and engagement to Paul Ziegler’s...
May 16, 2013
- Brethren Disaster Ministries staff are directing grant money to support a continuing home rebuilding effort in New York State following flooding caused by Hurricane Irene in 2011, and a church effort to distribute canned chicken in Haiti and the Dominican Republic.
- On May 1, more than 75 people gathered at Prattsville Community Church in the New York Catskills to celebrate all the work Brethren Disaster Ministries volunteers have done. Delicious dinner and desserts were provided by the church and community for volunteers and homeowners.
April 5, 2013
- NEWS: 1) Youth voice is heard in New York and Washington during Christian Citizenship Seminar. 2) Christian leaders celebrate adoption of the world’s first Arms Trade Treaty. 3) New 'Shine' curriculum is underway for fall 2014. 4) Fellowship of Brethren Homes members awarded 2013 Continuing Education Grants. 5) Same love, new look: Three new special offerings for the Church of the Brethren. UPCOMING EVENTS: 6) Big-name speakers to headline Annual Conference in Charlotte. 7) Children's Aid...
- During the last week of March, 55 Church of the Brethren youth and advisors joined forces to learn more about the issue of childhood poverty at this year's Christian Citizenship Seminar. CCS is a week-long event sponsored by the denomination's Youth and Young Adult Ministries and Office of Public Witness (formerly Peace Witness Ministries) based in Washington, D.C.
March 7, 2013
- Two long-standing ecumenical bodies in the United States--the National Council of Churches (NCC) and Church World Service (CWS)--have undergone restructuring and re-envisioning in recent months. The NCC began a plan for re-envisioning and restructuring last fall including elimination of administrative positions on the staff and a move away from historic headquarters in New York. CWS, which formerly shared the same general assembly as the NCC, has instituted a new governing structure that is...
March 5, 2013
- A Brethren Disaster Ministries home rebuilding and repair project in Prattsville, N.Y., is expanding into a nearby location, the town of Schoharie. The New York State project was established in response to the flooding of homes by Hurricane Irene, and is supported through donations to the Emergency Disaster Fund.