April 14, 2017
- I went to Chibok last week. The security is extremely tight, and there is little space to do much, but I felt compelled to go along with three brothers from Ekklesiyar Yan’uwa a Nigeria (EYN, the Church of the Brethren in Nigeria): Marcus Gamache, Dr. Yusuf Yokubo, and the district secretary of Chibok. It was partially for my own understanding, partially to encourage EYN, and more specifically, the local Brethren families who continue to live and farm in Chibok.
- Last month, I received an invitation to officiate at a love feast at Princeton Theological Seminary, where I am a visiting scholar. Surprised to learned there would be a love feast at Princeton, I jumped at the chance to help, but discovered the date conflicted with my responsibilities as a trustee at Bridgewater (Va.) College.
April 8, 2017
- NEWS 1) Statement from Annual Conference moderator, general secretary mourns cycle of violence in Syria 2) Camp cohort completes the Sustaining Ministerial Excellence Advanced Seminar 3) Nigerian church holds annual conference after insurgency 4) Nigerian Brethren leaders make trip to Cameroon refugee camp SPECIAL SECTION: CONCERNS OF IMMIGRANT BRETHREN 5) Intercultural leaders share concern for immigrant members: ‘The fears are real’ 6) Please help them: Reflection of a Latino Brethren 7)...
- In this issue: Corrections, remembrances, personnel notes, job openings, SERRV offers tours of its Distribution Center at the Brethren Service Center on April 30, We Are Able workcamp seeks for assistants ages 18-plus, pre-NOAC gathering for pastors is announced for September, Healthy Boundaries 101 training session takes place May 8, “Pray for Christian Citizenship Seminar 2017" asks Office of Public Witness, and more news by, for, and about Brethren.
- I was privileged to travel to visit a Christian and Muslim refugee camp in Cameroon. The president of Ekklesiyar Yan’uwa a Nigeria (EYN, the Church of the Brethren in Nigeria) Joel S. Billi, the general secretary, administrative secretary, EYN spiritual adviser, and and six others including myself traveled to Minawawuoa in Maruoa Province, Cameroon, to visit a refugee camp on March 11.
- The largest church denomination in northeastern Nigeria convened its annual conference at its Headquarters in Kwarhi, the first to be held there since the two years since the Boko Haram insurgency overran the area.
- The fourth and final retreat for the Camp Cohort of the Sustaining Ministerial Excellence Advanced Seminar took place March 19-22 at Quaker Hill Retreat Center in Richmond, Ind. Congratulations to Barbara Wise Lewczak of Camp Pine Lake, Northern Plains District; Karen Neff of Camp Ithiel, Atlantic Southeast District; Linetta and Joel Ballew of Camp Swatara, Atlantic Northeast District; Jerri Wenger of Camp Blue Diamond, Middle Pennsylvania District; and Wallace Cole of Camp Carmel, Southeastern...
- As citizens under the reign of God, we mourn the violence of these days....
April 7, 2017
- The current climate for immigrants and refugees, and how it is affecting the Church of the Brethren, its congregations, church leaders, and individual church members
- “Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord” (Psalm 118:26a).