May 16, 2013
- On April 23, I traveled to Prattsville, N.Y., to undergo training to become a Disaster Project Leader. Disaster Project Leaders are wonderful men and women called to lead and guide volunteers who come out to Brethren Disaster Ministries rebuilding sites for a week. I was very excited to learn all that happened behind the scenes to keep the project sites running.
- Fort Wayne mayor Tom Henry recently spoke to an adult education class at Beacon Heights Church of the Brethren in Fort Wayne, Ind. The class, led by Nancy Eikenberry and Kyla Zehr, has been studying the book “America and Its Guns, a Theological Exposé” by James E. Atwood.
- Zakariya Musa, secretary of the "New Light" publication of Ekklesiyar Yan'uwa a Nigeria (EYN--the Church of the Brethren in Nigeria), provided the following interview with Church of the Brethren mission worker Carol Smith.
- In response to storms and the flooding that has plagued the state of Illinois this spring, the Church of the Brethren’s Material Resources program has begun shipping clean-up supplies on behalf of Church World Service (CWS), an ecumenical partner.
May 8, 2013
- Brethren in the News for May 8, 2013
May 3, 2013
- 1) Small church leaders advised to know yourself, know your church, take part in God’s mission. 2) Mission workers report from annual meeting of Nigerian church. 3) Manchester University’s annual Peace Week opens new doors. 4) Manchester students lift 1,000,000 pounds for peace. 5) Kettering-Lane to fill Brethren studies position at Bethany Seminary. 6) Thirteen to graduate from Bethany Theological Seminary. 7) Faithful Christian leadership is topic of the Ministers’ Association event. 8) Fifth...
- In this issue, National Council of Churches leader Bob Edgar is remembered, general secretary attends a commemoration of the martyrs of the Armenian holocaust, Susquehanna Valley Ministry Center and the Global Mission office share personnel notes and a job opening, plus lots of news from congregations, districts, colleges, and more.
May 2, 2013
- The Fifth Brethren World Assembly for constituents and friends of the Brethren bodies descended from the movement established by Alexander Mack in Germany in the early 1700s will be held July 11-14 at the Brethren Heritage Center in Brookville, near Dayton, Ohio.
- The Church of the Brethren Minister’s Association pre-Annual Conference event on June 28-29 in Charlotte, N.C., will be led by L Gregory Jones on the theme “Faithful Christian Leadership in the 21st Century.” Links to more information and online registration are at www.brethren.org/ministryoffice .
- The golden age of Brethren print media has wonderfully come to life in the Brethren Digital Archive, available online in a full-text format without charge at archive.org/details/brethrendigitalarchives . It contains 29 periodicals published from 1851-2000 by the spiritual heirs of those baptized in the Eder River.