October 4, 2013
- Call of Conscience, a Church of the Brethren web-based curriculum, is available to download from www.brethren.org/CO . Written by Julie Garber, this resource is designed to help youth develop their beliefs about peace and conscientious objection to war. The curriculum focuses on developing a personal peace position based on biblical teaching and the traditions of the church.
- Leaders of Ekklesiyar Yan’uwa a Nigeria (EYN--the Church of the Brethren in Nigeria) have reported recent violent attacks that have taken lives of church members and destroyed many homes and some churches in northeastern Nigeria. The Global Mission and Service office requests prayer for people who have lost loved ones, those who have lost their homes and churches, and for EYN and its leaders. Global Mission and Service is sending a grant of $10,000 to the EYN fund that aids church members...
September 26, 2013
- 1) Preachers are announced for Annual Conference 2014, nominations are sought for next year’s elections. 2) Coordinators of NYC 2014 issue challenge for Brethren youth to exceed capacity at host university. 3) BBT eliminates position of manager of Pension Operations. 4) Clergy Women's Retreat is planned for January in southern California. 5) ‘Prodigal Christianity’ author to speak at General Offices, Bethany, N. Ohio District. 6) Advent devotional, outdoor ministry curriculum are among new...
- Brethren bits for Sept. 27. This week: Shine seeks curriculum writers, September is National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, a banquet celebrates Carlisle Truck Stop Ministry, solidarity and concern for Christians in Pakistan following the bombing of All Saints Church, and much more.
- “Hand in Hand, Heart to Heart: On the Journey Together” is the theme for the Clergy Women’s Retreat early next year. The event is to be held Jan. 13-16, 2014, at the Serra Retreat Center in Malibu, Calif., sponsored by the Church of the Brethren Office of Ministry.
- “Good News of Great Joy,” the Advent devotional from Brethren Press, and “Get Real: Finding Your True Self in Jesus,” the outdoor ministries camping curriculum for the summer of 2014, are now available. Purchase these and more resources from Brethren Press at 800-441-3712 or www.brethrenpress.com. A shipping and handling charge will be added to the listed price.
- Given the ongoing challenges of providing a competitive and cost effective Pension Plan to members, Brethren Benefit Trust (BBT) has concluded that the agency needs to refocus resources. Therefore, BBT has taken another step to streamline the Benefits Department and has eliminated the position of Manager of Pension Operations, which has been held by John Carroll.
- This interview with Jeff Carter, the new president at Bethany Theological Seminary in Richmond, Ind., was provided to Newsline by Frank Ramirez, pastor of Everett (Pa.) Church of the Brethren. Ramirez interviewed Carter while both were attending the National Older Adult Conference in Lake Junaluska, N.C., in early September. “I want Bethany to be your first thought in theological education,” Carter said, “and I want Bethany to be your first thought as a church resource.”
- What if so many people registered for National Youth Conference (NYC) that Colorado State University ran out of room to house everyone? That’s the challenge NYC coordinators Katie Cummings, Tim Heishman, and Sarah Neher are issuing to Brethren youth and to the denomination as a whole. The conference is scheduled for July 19-24, 2014, in Fort Collins, Colo.
- The list of preachers and others who will be leading worship at the 2014 Annual Conference of the Church of the Brethren has been announced. The 2014 Annual Conference takes place in Columbus, Ohio, on July 2-6, a Wednesday through Sunday schedule. Delegate registration opens in early January. General registration will open in mid-February. Also from the Conference Office: a call for nominations.