September 17, 2014
Sept 17, 2014
House of Bishops, Taipei
Expanding the Apostolic Imagination
The Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori
Presiding Bishop and Primate
The Episcopal Church
We thank you that by water and the Holy Spirit you have bestowed upon these your servants the forgiveness of sin, and have raised them to the new life of grace. Sustain them, O Lord, in your...
[Seamen’s Church Institute press release] Think Somali piracy is a thing of the past? That “past” haunts thousands of seafarers today; but the reports from individual seafarers mostly go unnoticed, as some shipowners leave seafarers high and dry after release—ignored and uncompensated. Their stories tell of trying times in the wake of survival.
The Seamen’s Church Institute’s (SCI) Douglas B. Stevenson, Director of SCI’s Center for...
- Today’s Evangelical Alliance council meeting hears from Christian leaders from across the UK, gathering to talk about the importance of Christians engaging with power in public life and being voices for good in the places God has called them.
September 16, 2014
- NEWS: 1) Peace Day events are planned by Church of the Brethren and other groups 2) Praying and worshiping in the spirit of Pentecost on Peace Day 3) Speakers, worship, and music leadership announced for 2015 Annual Conference 4) Nigerian Christians say ‘We are on the run’: An interview with EYN president Samuel Dali 5) Haiti Medical Project attains 30-month milestone, Lancaster church raises more than $100,000, Brethren World Mission continues support 6) Annual BRF unit of Brethren Volunteer...
- Church of the Brethren congregations and other groups in many different communities are planning worship services, witnesses, prayer vigils, and even theater performances to celebrate the International Day of Prayer for Peace on Sunday, Sept. 21. A Peace Day campaign by On Earth Peace helps connect the Church of the Brethren and others to the annual event, offers resources, and collects an online listing of events and groups that are participating. Here are just a few of the Peace Day events in...
- The preachers and the worship and music leadership for next year’s Church of the Brethren Annual Conference has been announced by the Conference Office. The 2015 Conference will return to a Saturday-through-Wednesday schedule on July 11-15, in Tampa, Fla. Moderator David Steele will lead the Conference on the theme “Abide in My Love...and Bear Fruit” (John 15:9-17). Find his reflection on the theme at www.brethren.org/ac/2015/theme.html .
- The Haiti Medical Project attained a 30-month milestone this summer in June, reports Dale Minnich who serves as a volunteer fundraiser for the project. Also this summer, Lancaster (Pa.) Church of the Brethren surpassed its fundraising goal of $100,000 to raise an actual amount of $103,700, reported by Lancaster member Otto Schaudel.
- It was Thursday morning, four days into my first week at Highland Park Elementary School, and I was sitting on the floor in the office cutting out still more newly laminated classroom decorations for the teachers. The principal turned to me and said, “After you’re done with that, I have a terribly mundane and tedious job for you.”