January 16, 2017
Taiwan Church News
January 9 - 15, 2017
Tang De-Jhang: A Story Of Justice And Courage That We Should Never Forget
Reported by Chen Yi-hsuan
To commemorate the 70th anniversary of 228 massacre, a book launch of a Taiwanese heroic martyr entitled as «Tang De-Jhang: A Story of Justice And Courage That We Should Never Forget» was held at Tainan's Zhengda ...
- Christian Aid is urging people to contact their banks about investing in renewable energy.
When the Women's March for America steps off in Washington D.C. on Saturday, advocates in the nation's capitol rallying for a just world for all will be joined in spirit and in action by scores of others at Sister Marches -- solidarity events organized by volunteers in over 200 cities around the country.
Public Relations and the President
By Tom McAnally, retired director United Methodist News Service and former national president of RCC
In his one-hour “Dateline NBC” special interview with Lester Holt aired January 13, President Obama said his administration had accomplished its goals and fulfilled many of the desires of those who elected him but had failed in the “PR” field. His comment reminded me of a basic assertion in a classic textbook...
January 14, 2017
Sunday, January 22, 2017 will be observed as “Sanctity of Life Sunday” in parishes across the United States. The commemoration, which marks the 44th anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion in the US, serves as a prelude to the annual March for Life, to be held in the US Capital on Friday, January 27—one week later than usual due to the inauguration of...
- In this issue: Remembering Wayne Geisert, Elsie Hall, Ann Burger, and Marylee Lang, plus personnel announcements and job openings, ordinations in Haiti--including the first woman ordained in Eglise des Freres d’Haiti, plans for Roundtable, and more.
- Frank Ramirez, Church of the Brethren storyteller, historian, and pastor, will be the presenter for the next Ventures course from 9 a.m. to 12 noon (central time) on Saturday, Jan. 21. His topic will be “The Real Deal in Brethren History: What Really Happened Out There, and What Does It Mean For Today?”
- The next National Older Adult Conference, Inspiration 2017, will be held in Lake Junaluska Conference Center, in western North Carolina, from Sept. 4-8. The theme is “Generations” from Psalm 145:4: “One generation shall laud God’s works to another and shall declare God’s mighty acts.” The theme reflects the intergenerational community that gathers at NOAC and the importance of generations engaging each other in meaningful conversations about relationships, leaving a legacy, and faith.
- Although we have seen Facebook posts and news releases stating that the Nigerian army has defeated the Boko Haram, violence still continues in northeast Nigeria. Most of the ongoing attacks in the Madagali and Gwoza area are not reported anywhere. One big attack, killing or injuring over 100 people in a Madagali market in December, did make the news.
- A summary of the Nigeria Crisis Response work carried out in 2016 has been provided to Newsline by coordinator Roxane Hill. The Nigeria Crisis Response is a joint effort of the Church of the Brethren and Ekklesiyar Yan’uwa a Nigeria (EYN, the Church of the Brethren in Nigeria). The Church of the Brethren’s Global Mission and Service and Brethren Disaster Ministries are both involved in the effort. The following summary covers the year through November and includes tallies of accomplishments in...