April 24, 2017
- Flim Is Also the Son and Grandson of Righteous Among the Nations Recipients
From April 23-27, the B'nai B'rith World Center is hosting Bert Jan Flim, a noted Dutch historian who has researched the rescue of Jewish children during the Holocaust in Holland. His father and paternal grandparents were recipients of the Righteous Among the Nations award for their part in rescuing Jews during the Holocaust.
Flim took part in the...
April 13, 2017
In many places the large rough wooden cross carried into the Good Friday liturgy remains in place throughout the first few weeks of Easter. But now bunches of spring flowers surround its foot and a good length of white linen is draped over its arms. Once a cruel instrument of torture and death, it has become for us a wondrous sign of hope and glory in Christ.
When that cross on a hill outside the city wall looked to the world like a “tree of defeat” for the mission of Christ, an end...
April 10, 2017
As widely reported, some three dozen faithful died and over 100 were injured in terrorist bombings at two Coptic churches in Egypt on Palm Sunday—April 9, 2017.
Over two dozen people were killed and over 70 were wounded by an explosion at a Coptic church in Tanta. Within hours, a second bombing at Alexandria’s Saint Mark Cathedral left at least 11 people dead and 30 injured...
In our time in history, terrible crimes against humanity are claiming more and more innocent victims.
Last week, the world witnessed horrific images of Syrian children foaming at the mouth, convulsing and dying in the arms of their sobbing mothers and fathers. Their deaths were brought on by yet another round of the use of chemical weapons in the long and bloody conflict that has savaged Syria for six years, claiming the lives of some 400,000 people.
Last night, the world...
April 8, 2017
- Clergy stir Holy Chrism as Gospels are read in 2012.
Father Alexander Schmemann often underlined in his teaching that Christianity is the end of religion. The 2018 All-American Council of the Orthodox Church in America will have as its theme “For the Life of the World,” the title of Father Alexander’s best-known book, published in...
April 6, 2017
- Ceremony Dedicated To Commemorating the Rescue Efforts of Walter Suskind and the Jewish caregivers in the Crèche in Amsterdam
The B’nai B’rith World Center in Jerusalem and Keren Kayemeth LeIsrael (KKL-JNF) will hold, for the 15th consecutive year, a unique joint Holocaust commemoration ceremony on Holocaust Martyrs' and Heroes' Remembrance Day (Yom Hashoah), April 24. This is the only event dedicated annually to...
April 5, 2017
- The winner of the 2017 “B’nai B’rith World Center Award for Journalism Recognizing Excellence in Diaspora Reportage” is Yaniv Pohoryles, home page editor and writer for the Jewish World section of Ynet, one of Israel’s most popular online news sites. Pohoryles was chosen for a series of nine articles published over the course of 2016 that covered Jewish communities in the U.S. and France, Jewish demography, Israel-Diaspora relations,...
April 4, 2017
- BIC's annual receptions for Baha'i New Year in Akka and Jerusalem brought together religious and civil society leaders.
April 3, 2017
[Episcopal News Service] “Go forth to be people of the Resurrection,” Episcopal Church Presiding Bishop and Primate Michael B. Curry said in his Easter 2017 message. “Follow in the way of Jesus. Don’t be ashamed to love. Don’t be ashamed to follow Jesus.”
The Festive day of Easter is Sunday, April 16.