February 1, 2017
- Saint Patriarch Tikhon
His Beatitude, Metropolitan Tikhon will preside at ceremonies marking the opening of an exhibit commemorating the 100th Anniversaries of the Enthronement of Saint Patriarch Tikhon of Moscow and the 1917 Russian Revolutions on Wednesday, February 8, 2017.
The exhibit, titled “Blood & Soul: The Russian Revolutions of 1917,” will run at...
VALLEY FORGE, PA (2/1/17)—Recognizing February as Black History Month and honoring this year’s “The Crisis in Black Education” theme, American Baptist Home Mission Societies (ABHMS) has added a commemorative page to its website that features a related video.
Titled “The Promise of Freedom,” the 20...
- FEMA stated that the six-inch rain event of August 2014 in Detroit, Mich., was the major disaster of that year for FEMA. But our US government disaster program did not allocate funds for that disaster, which had its most negative impact on African-American families.
[Anglican Communion News Service] Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby has written to every primate in the Anglican Communion to set out his hopes for the next Primates’ Meeting, which will take place in Canterbury in Oct. 2-6.
In the letter, Welby sets out his vision for the meeting in Canterbury as an opportunity for relaxed fellowship and mutual consultation. He invites the primates to submit items for the agenda and says he’s aware of the pressures under which many...
- Theologian N.T. Wright was busy last week addressing three different audiences in Grand Rapids, Mich., on a range of topics, including the use of lots of water when doing a baptism and the full meaning of Christ’s death on the cross.
- Commission on Religion and Race features young United Methodists and stresses church’s need to embrace diversity.
- An art historian is not usually someone who rejects images. However, in a lecture delivered to a packed room at Redeemer University College in Ancaster, Ont., on Jan. 25, Matthew Milliner, a professor of art history at Wheaton College, did just that.
- Revelation was at the center of all five of the Calvin Symposium worship services in 2017, and the overall conference theme was: "The faithful witness: being Christ's church in an apocalyptic world."
- As a way to respond to all of the political and social turmoil going on in North America and abroad, Charles Kim and others have organized the Christian Reformed Church’s Prayer Summit 2017 to be held March 25-27 in Los Angeles, Calif.
The General Synod of the United Church of Christ is taking on a service project this June in Baltimore to serve people’s best friends.